POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : My own radiosity implementation : Re: My own radiosity implementation Server Time
8 Aug 2024 01:13:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My own radiosity implementation
From: Slime
Date: 28 Oct 2005 15:22:31
Message: <43627a77$1@news.povray.org>
> Very impressive.

Thanks =)

> By sheer coincedence we've been having some problems with our radiosity at
> the games company I work at (Naughty Dog), so I'd be really interested in
> knowing some technical details: How many vertices are in the scene?

15106, so it seems to be doing a little over 1000 a minute (ow).

> What
> radiosity method are you using? It looks too smooth to just be gathering
> photons.

Pretty much exactly what's described here:
http://freespace.virgin.net/hugo.elias/radiosity/radiosity.htm only without
light maps or the memory address trick they talk about at the end (so no
possibility for HDR lighting).

The two major bottlenecks in my implementation are the rendering of the
scene itself (there's no visibility algorithms yet so the entire object is
drawn for every vertex, and needs more optimization) and the retrieval of
the render to calculate the (weighted) average color (I'm using glReadBuffer
which appears to be extremely slow). I'm hoping to find a way to do the
latter part with OpenGL itself so I don't have to use glReadBuffer. I'm
rendering all parts of the hemicube at 256x256 or 256x128.

> Have you applied any filters to the result to make it so smooth?

Nope, just normal triangle interpolation between the vertices. All light
comes from the environment cubemap, so there are no point light sources
which would make sharper shadows.

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]